Sunday, March 28, 2010

Here we go again! Garden 2010 Update!!

Things are taking off...slowly! The plum tree is doing great with lots of buds and flowers. The apple and pears are coming along at a decidedly slower pace. Might we a while before I make a pie from our orchard. Maybe some plum jam later this year, though!



The greenhouse is still pretty empty. We need to figure out the plan for it. I think we'll get some starts going in there, but I want to find pots that can go straight into the ground. There's a product called "cowpots" (yes, from cow manure) that I'm going to check out a little further and see where I can get a good price on them. Then we'll get our peppers and tomatoes started. Maybe some pumpkins and some squash for an early harvest of zucchini.

But so far, the few plants we have out there are doing well. We have one lone strawberry plant (or weed) that's sprouted from the 150 we planted. (In our defense, they do take 60 days to germinate so we're still a little early.) Our herbs are doing well but the crown jewel of our greenhouse is the "salad garden". Our lettuce and spinach is doing great! A couple more weeks and we might be able to harvest it. Probably should start some more.


We "went Cleveland' and bought a topsy-turvey planter for strawberries (still purists for the tomatoes). Then, we bought 15 strawberry plants to fill it. It's hanging at the end of K's swingset, right next to the hummingbird feeder. But, I'm proud to announce that we have our first berries coming on. A blurry picture below and hopefully the birds will let them be so we can harvest them. Still need to get the blueberries and raspberries planted in the berry patch (the more traditional ground planting for them). We are a little worried that there won't be many berries for us, but plenty for the birds, squirrels, deer, coyotes, bears and other critters that might like a taste.


The Masons. Oh dear, the Masons. (I always think of the Freemasons and the conspiracy theories of Dan Brown when I say this.) So, we set those little guys out just like Michael from the grange explained. He'd never tell us wrong...his name is Michael and ALL guys named Michael are good, honest and trustworthy. Frankly, it really irritates me when I meet a Mike that is besmirching the name. I feel like I should tell him that because of his name he should, MUST be better. But, I digress. We hung their new house, put the cocoons in the front, attached the protective front face and waited.


Well, actually, we went on about our lives for a week or two and then checked back on them. Eight cocoons gone, two left. And the only sign of life in the house was a spider webb and a poor little spider hiding in the back. We evicted him. So, we don't know what happened to the other eight Masons. Did they get eaten by birds while still in the cocoon stage? Did they hatch and get tempted by another hive somewhere else (we realize now that the spot we picked might not have been as protected from the wind as those finicky little fellas might like). Was there not enough food for them nearby? What?!? What did we do wrong?!? I think we'll go for another round and see if we can talk to that Michael character again. I'll take Butch with me just in case he needs to explain the high standard that this guy needs to hold up.

And, since this is (mostly) a blog about our favorite favorite, here she is with some of our new gardening gear. Cucumber trellis, tomato baskets (which will be used for tomatoes) and the tomato ladders (which will be used for bean towers) and holding our faux bamboo poles.


Signing off from the gardening capital of my world...

No comments: