Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Weekend Update

Just so we're all clear here...Butch does most (and when I say "most", I mean virtually ALL) of the gardening stuff around here. It's only "our" garden, "our orchard, "our" greenhouse because he's too nice of a guy to point out who really does all of the work. Having established that....

We planted our plum and cherry trees, bringing the tree count to 6 in our orchard. I think it'll hang out there for a while now. We'll see how well our Mason bees do this year and if they need more work, maybe we'll add to the orchard next year.

We started our salad garden (romaine, green leaf lettuce and spinach) and our herb gardens (seven different herbs) in the greenhouse today. We also started our strawberry seeds. Katie helped with those and if we're REALLY lucky, all 150 of them may sprout! Yes, we planted 150 seeds - an entire packet. We still have several packets left if any of you want some. Let us know and we'll pop them in the mail to you. I'm not sure we'll need all 1,000 seeds this year - at least I hope not. And that fills two of the 10 shelves in our greenhouse...my goodness, it holds a lot. I'm not sure what else we'll start or keep in there.

We also planted some spring flowers and maybe next weekend we'll "thaw" our Mason bees (not frozen but in the fridge). Felt bad that we didn't have anything for them to eat (??? do they eat?). Well, now I won't feel like they'll stave so we can set them out and see what happens. I have pretty high hopes for these little guys...

Wish us luck and good weather this summer. We've had such a mild winter due to El Nino or La Nina (whichever it is). We seem to recall that these patterns give us mild/wet winters and, well, mild/wet summers. Not so good for a garden that needs sun, sun, sun!

1 comment:

AnonyMe said...

Casey, y'all are so inspiring! Keep up the good work! I wish we lived next door and could taste all of your produce.