Monday, February 15, 2010

2010 Gardening Season has officially begun!

I know, it's only February but we've got the bug to garden. I'm sure we'll go through several rounds of seeds/seedlings again this year, but we just can't help ourselves!

* Garden Plan - check! (although we have to re-do it since I had the wrong dimensions)
* Greenhouse - check! (we went to get the $40 'deck-top' version, about 2' x 4' x 6' with a plastic cover, and came home with the $200 walk-in greenhouse about 8' x 8' x 7'. Will need to build benches and shelves for it and probably re-re-do the 2010 Garden Plan cuz we may keep our salad garden and herb garden in the greenhouse for year round crops.)
* Fruit Trees - check! unless we killed them yesterday. We had to remove two Alder trees (grow like weeds here) to make room for the 2 apple and 2 pear trees we picked up yesterday. Took a couple out in the yard to gauge the spacing and we left them out all night. I hope when the label says that they are hardy plants, that they really mean it since we had a light frost last night. Fingers crossed!
* Mason bee house - check! So, it's not the beautiful bamboo one from Gardener's Supply Co. (we're such nerds that B and I spend our evenings going through their catalogue) but the Grange comes through when you need something NOW. I'm not sure why I needed the bee house NOW...oh yeah, it's because
* Mason bees - check! Yep, we're getting into the bee business folks. These guys are supposed to be SUPER pollinators which is a good thing for all things with blooms - that what Mr. Mason-bee Mike from the Grange says anyway. I think we'll start with a couple of bee houses - one by the garden and one by the fruit trees - but right now we just have the one house and 10 Mason bee cocoons 'sleeping' in our refrigerator. Hey, no comments on how we're turning into strange gardening people who winter bees in our fridge!
* Blueberry plants - check! B and I weren't quite ready for these but K sure was! You can see how things get decided in our house! LOL! :) We're going to add some strawberries and raspberries and have a proper berry garden but haven't gotten the staws and rasps yet (K didn't see those!)

So, we have to get the trees and blueberries in the ground today and then we'll tackle the greenhouse and finalize the 2010 Garden plan. We'll need more bees and another bee house and we'll have to start the seeds/seedlings/deadlings process in a few weeks, but it's official folks. The 2010 Gardening Season has begun!

1 comment:

Shelby said...

Ahhhhh....this is SO right up my ally Casey! I'm envious! I can't wait to see bee pics!! I want to see them in your fridge (; I love bees! And blueberries. And greenhouses! Did I ever mention I almost double majored in animal sci and hort?? Sounds like an extra exciting gardening year for you all!