Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Camping Trip

We're campers. I know that it's not very cool to camp anymore, but we still like it. Now, mind you, when I say 'camping' we're not talking about backpacking into the woods, pitching a tent, creating fire with our bare hands, killing, skining and roasting our own food. No, we're WAY more civilized than that! We camp with a full bathroom of our own (have you seen those camp showers?!? Ew!), a cooktop and oven, air conditioning and yes, a TV/DVD player. But, it wasn't all easy street folks. The town we camped in didn't have a Starbuck's (you know the sacrifice I'm talking about) and I even shared a double bed with my husband. (Was SO happy to be home to my king bed last night. Love that thing. Love it!) But the trip was kind of a disaster. I don't mind all the work (which Butch does most of, tbh) if we get the payoff. Really, I don't. But this time around, it just didn't happen. We probably should have questioned the entire trip when Katie complained of a stomach ache all night and then vomitted the morning we were supposed to leave. She ate like a horse afterwards so we figured it was okay (and thankfully that was the only puking incident). But, things didn't improve...I fell off a curb and broke a toe (along with bruising my ego), Katie got stung by a yellowjacket, we dinged up the prop on the boat...twice, the wind blew enough that we couldn't waterski or have a proper campfire (although we did manage both), Butch pulled a shoulder muscle turning on the heater in the camper (the camping equivalent of picking up a paperclip)...but the worst part about it all was the dog. She was a pain in the rear the entire trip but she outdid herself one night when we put her in the car for bed. I got up to let her out the next morning and she'd poop all over the back of the car. Then she hopped over the backseat and proceeded to cover the backseat and the floor in front of the backseat with poop. The little town we go to is about 4 hours away. Thankfully we were able to clean it up and get most of the smell out for the drive home. If we hadn't, I probably would have made her run along behind the car.

No comments: