Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Deadliest Catch - Rock Crab Edition

A confession right off the bat: We don't watch this show. Okay, one member of the household does but he will remain nameless. :)

This week was Katie's spring break so we took a quick weekend trip to The Oregon Coast - Tillimook area, Netarts specifically. There's a little campground there that meets all our needs: quiet, clean, fire pits and wood, ocean view, rental boats with crab rings and, of course, wifi. So we packed all of our electronics into the camper and away we went.

Man it's a long way down there. We did it two medium drives going down and one looooonnng drive coming home. Yeah...we're not going to do that again any time soon. Fun time, but it was bookended by WAY too much car-time.

Here are Katie and Butch showing their crab claws.



I'm proud to say that both Katie and I touched a crab and I actually held one. (Neither of us was going to eat one of those things though!). You would never have guessed it from the first pull of our crab pot. This is not an especially proud moment but because it's pretty funny, I'm setting my pride aside and sharing this with you...




We also went to the Tillimook Air Museum. Pretty cool, but could have appreciated it in about 1/5th of the time we spent there. Katie and I finally pooped out and let Butch finish looking around without us.



Next we toured the Tillamook Cheese Factory. It was a self-tour, go at your own pace. But they weren't in production so it was pretty boring - and we were tired. So we just snapped a couple of cheesy tourist pictures and went to the gift shop.


The highlight for Katie might have been the crabbing, but it also could have been the campfire. The girl does like to roast food on a stick - especially marshmallows.



A good trip overall, but we've started to research the Washington Coast for camping, boating, crabbing and a good, clean campground...with wifi.

3 comments:

kate said...

Love Katiebug's bangs. hilarious! I'm so sorry.

So funny about your long drive. It's only about 2 hours for us and we have yet to make a beach trip this year and I'm aching for one.

can you let me know the name of the campground? Did they have yurt's? We don't have a camper but would love to make the trek and I'm not about to pitch a tent with 3 kiddos.

thanks! Cute pics.

Casey said...

It's been two months and they don't seem to have grown at all. Actually they may be worse because they stick straight out most of the time! Ugh! They will grow...they will grow.

Campground is Netarts Bay Campground but I don't think they had any yurts. Will ask DH, his bro and his cousin (lives in P-town) if they have any recommendations for yurt/cabin camping.

Shelby said...

Oh Cas...not sure how I missed this update! You had me rolling at your video (in a good way!) I loved hearing your voice and you having the heebie geebies b/c of the crabs. You are SO cute! Thanks for sharing it!

Katiebug's bangs are cute! (: