Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Camping at Cathlamet

So we spent time with good friends and good family for the Fourth of July. We drove down Thursday night - it was an easy drive and we arrived just at dusk. We were able to launch the boat, set up the camper and get ready for bed. Not all that exciting for a Thursday night, but it made it a heck of a lot easier on Friday - wake up and go.

We "treat" ourselves to some really awful junk food when we're camping - one of which is those powdered sugar donuts. Katie thought they were too messy (she's right) but she did think it was funny to get a white mouth from them and give her Daddy a white smootch.




We spent Friday and Saturday out at the beach playing in the sand, digging a hole to China and filling it up with water - or at least trying - and, of course, playing in the water. But the highlights of the trip for Katie were Rachel and Shannon (the big girls) and Brogan (aka Baby Westin, aka Baby Question).



Brogan wasn't quite sure about sitting on Katie's lap even though Mom was right nearby. Katie thought it was great! She informed me that she wants a baby. I convinced her to wait til she's 30 before having one. "Okay, Mommy...when will I be 30?" We talked about it some more and she explained that we should name the baby 'Wishberry Dandelion Wildflower'. Aaaah, there's my hippy girl I'd been missing.


This one I had to share just because of Brogan's cute expression. I suppose I should have picked the one with Butch's imploring look to me behind the camera that said "DON'T GET ANY IDEAS!!!"


We bought some fireworks to share at the campground but found that others had SERIOUSLY outdone us. We had a nice show, but theirs was practically professional. It was really cool to be so close to the fireworks although when a couple went haywire and were shooting right at us...well, it got exciting!

When we got home we found that our garden had gone nuts. If I write much more about it, I'm going to have to rename the blog! But, we're just so darn happy with the results. Really, we can't take much credit for it. It's all been courtesy of the early warm weather that we've had this year. Here's our first zucchini (there are several very close to this size still in the garden, so if you have a favorite zucchini recipes, I'd love to have them!)

2 comments:

RachelC said...

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (we use applesauce)
3 cups shredded zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Makes 24 standard sized muffins

1) Preheat oven to 350. Grease 24 muffin cups. Whisk sugar, eggs, oil, zucchini and vanilla in a large bowl.

2) Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cocoa, salt and chocolate chips in a medium bowl.

3) Add flour mixture to zucchini mixture, whisk until just blended.

4) Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake until toothpick test. **Recipe says 20 minutes… Mine are done sooner, in 10**

Casey said...

These look great Rach! We'll definitely try them! Yumy!